Thursday, November 6, 2008

I did it

I turned on some holiday music today. I know! Me, the one who despises all the retail stores who start decorating for Christmas in August! I succomed to their overcommercialized, money-grubbing plans to drive away the true meaning of Christmas.

Although I only eased into it by listening to only the instrumental music and not the Santa Clause/Rudolf/Jingle Bells stuff, I realize that now I've started listening, I just can't go back...

What have I done?? Who knows, next year they might get me tostart in October and then September and before I know it I'll be one of them! AHHHH! I'm pretty sure I'll be able to restrain myself from putting up lights and the tree and all that till after Thanksgiving though, thank goodness!

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. I just don't like how commercialized it has become. It shouldn't be about how many twinkle lights you can cram onto your roof or having a herd of glowing reindeer running through your yard. It should be about Christ, don't you think?

3 comments:

Dottie! said...

You should consider renting a copy of What Would Jesus Buy... REALLY good film that makes you reconsider what you do for the holidays. :D

Laura said...

Don't fight it! Christmas music is my fav! I started it at work today!!!

mamaseversike said...

Funny, just before coming up here to check your blog, I was down stairs playing Christmas music on the piano. (not well, just recognizably, sort of) Every year I wish I could play "O Holy Night" better. Well, good music is one way to bring the spirit to Christmas, if you ask me. Just switch away from that garbage stuff as fast as you can.(Grandma got run over by a reindeer? Yuck!) I like Christmas, all of it, even the thousands of lights, and the herds of reindeer and the lines... if you can get to the very, very bottom of all that frenzy, it's just plain old people trying to tell each other they love them. Else why go to all the bother? :) mama