Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Do a good turn daily

The other day, after helping a nice old lady cross the street I was on my way over to rescue a poor, helpless stranded kitten out of a tree when I spotted a plastic wrappedobject in the ditch about the size of a small loaf of bread wrapped in bubble wrap. I picked it up and it turned out to be a brand new paper bill accepter mechanism for a vending machine.


It looked like it had fallen out of a truck as it was turning the corner or something. The bubble wrap was succesful in its objective by preventing the part from not getting anything worse than a slight scuff on one of the corners. I found a manufacturer's phone number on the side and called it. I gave them the serial number and they tracked it to the Pepsi distribution center about a 1/2 mile from my house.

So Friday I took it over to them. The receptionist had no clue what to do so she called a guy in from the warehouse. a kind of grisly older guy came out, grabbed the thing and said, "Come on back here..."
So I did. I followed him through some doors into a warehouse filled to the brim with more bottles of soda than I had ever seen before in my life! You could say they had a "plethora"
of Pepsi products!

"I guess I owe you a drink for bringing that back to us, don't I?" he said.

I wasn't expecting anything in return but, ok. As we started heading toward where a vending machine was over in the corner, he uttered an, 'aw heck' and then a made a right turn down a towering aisle of Country Time or something. He called to another guy farther down and said "Hey! Grab me a case of pepsi and bring it to this kid here!" Whoa. They even loaded it into my car for me and told me to enjoy it and gave a great day!

Now I've got a fridge full of soda pop that I (used to) rarely drink. I'd offer some to y'all but you're kind of far away, sorry.

3 comments:

mamaseversike said...

It's fun to be the "kid" sometimes, isn't it! Did you get to pick your choice of Pepsi product? Does Pepsi make Diet-Caffiene-free Dr. Pepper? that's my pick! Funny you could track that down.

Kirk and Jill Smith - said...

Nice!! Way to be so honest and such a good person! Your mama raised you right!! And congrats on the engagement!

Jennis said...

hey there ya go. free pop! sweet. and mom they do make caffine free diet dr. pepper.