Monday, July 27, 2009

A restoration project

A couple of months ago Deb and I endeavored to take on a project for a friend of ours. We were going to help her reorganize her garage and do a couple other things that she is not able to do. We ripped out the noxious weeds that had taken over her flower beds, re-did her food storage, and she had some faded, kind of worn-out-looking benches she wanted to be able to use again.

After I tackled the weed beds, I went to work on the benches. They were wrought Iron and wood and the wood was very weathered and not smooth anymore. I took them apart and sanded and sanded and sanded till they weren't that aged grey color any more. Sorry I don't have any before pictures, but you can imagine what it looks like. The stain that she had picked out for the new color was (supposed to be) this nice, dark reddish, Mahogany color.
Nice, huh?

Well, we got them stained that day and proceeded to become extremely busy with wedding plans. The wood sat for awhile and we got a call from Charmaine a few weeks later saying that the wood turned out to be not what she wanted. In my mind, I was thinking 'Tough noogies lady... do you know how hard I worked on those and now you're saying it's not right!?' But bless my wife she told her that we would fix it for her.

When we finally made it over there we saw what she was talking about. the wood had turned almost black in color and it just wasn't acceptable. A bit hideous, eh? I guess some people might like it, but when it was clearly not the color we were hoping for, we realized it had to go.















I got out the sander and burned through I don't know how many sheets of sandpaper, but I finally made it though the blackness. I found some linseed oil in the garage, applied it to the wood and came out with this very lovely, vintage-antique look that really looked fantastic.



















The finished product turned out with a very nice color, VERY smooth, and created a very pleased Charmaine! The transformation from too light, to too dark, to just right turned out to be a great experience in the end!



2 comments:

mamaseversike said...

Very nice!! That's a pretty bench. I happen to like dark wood, but I know what you mean. Your friend does indeed look very happy. Good job! :)

Jennis said...

way too persevere through all that sanding, I feel for you buddy. ;)